February 28, 2013 : How to test drinking water pH levels

How to test drinking water pH levels

People have grown more concerned about where their water is coming from and whether or not it is safe to consume over the last few decades, and with good reason. If your drinking water at home is derived from surface water that has been filtered, it could have been exposed to storm water runoff, pesticide runoff, industrial waste, and a variety of other contaminants. If your water comes from groundwater, such as a private well or public water supply, it is generally considered safer. However, groundwater is not exposed to sunlight, aeration, or other micro-organisms, it can be contaminated by pathogens, households products that have been disposed of carelessly, agricultural compounds, and a host of other contaminants. For these reasons, it is important to occasionally test your drinking water at home.

Prior to testing the water pH levels in your home, it is highly recommended by the Environmental Protection Agency that you contact your water supplier and ask for a copy of your annual water quality report. After you have done this, you should purchase several ph testing strips.

Once you have acquired the proper water pH test strips, you will need to fill a container with cold or warm water, make sure that the water is not hot though. Proceed to dip the strip from the kit into the water. Keep it submerged for the length of time recommended in the instructions from the kit you purchased, wave it back and forth in the water slightly if the instructions indicate to do this.

Next, remove the strip from the water, shaking off the excess water. Wait for the amount of time recommended on the specific water test strip package you have bought (typically around 20 seconds.) While you wait, refer to the color chart included in the package. Once time is up, refer to the color chart to see where your pH levels are at. Repeat this test as necessary for copper, formaldehyde, and any other substances you may want to test your water for.